Sunday, 6 September 2015

WFFM error : XmlControl was null

Leave a Comment
Recently I’ve been involved in Sitecore upgradation from 6.5 to 8.0 and upgraded WFFM module as well. After upgradation, I’ve noticed that I was getting a pop up window with below error whenever I am clicking on any form in content editor.

An instance of Sitecore.Web.UI.XmlControls.XmlControl was null.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: An instance of Sitecore.Web.UI.XmlControls.XmlControl was null.

Source Error: 
An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[InvalidOperationException: An instance of Sitecore.Web.UI.XmlControls.XmlControl was null.]
   Sitecore.Diagnostics.Assert.IsNotNull(Object value, String message) +55
   Sitecore.Form.UI.Controls.GroupListBuilder.BuildGroup(GridPanel grid, GroupDefinition group) +131
   Sitecore.Form.UI.Controls.GroupListBuilder.BuildGroups(GridPanel grid, ListDefinition list) +175
   Sitecore.Form.UI.Controls.GroupListBuilder.BuildGrid(Control parent) +706
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +71
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +190
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +190
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +190
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +190
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +190
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +190
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +190
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +190
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +190
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3178
I’ve started debugging issue and downloaded relevant complete WFFM package from dev.sitecore.net. I’ve compared files in wwwroot with WFFM package files and noticed that few files and folders were missing at \Website\sitecore\shell\Applications\Modules\Web Forms for Marketers\Controls location. I’ve copied files from WFFM package to wwwroot to resolve the issue. It seems that during Sitecore upgradation few files were missed out. Comments and suggestions are most welcome. Happy coding!
Read More...